One of the most difficult questions I was asked related
to a planned roll-out of a new business computer system that had a planned/reactive maintenance
module available. The system was originally selected for purchasing, materials planning and financial controls. Maintenance
was something else that could be pulled into the system but was not included in the original tender specification. Senior management, almost as an afterthought, decided it would be better to integrate the control of maintenance, so I was asked "Tell me why you can’t use
it?”.
At the time I was using a maintenance system that was
networked, available for the maintenance team and included a requester which was available to all employees to report faults.
It had been used for more than five years, was easy to use and was a
system I personally knew very well. The
prospect of changing to something new was not popular with any of us.
I was introduced to a Consultant, who was very pleasant and
willing to help me. I had prepared a
specification from the functionality of the existing system and we worked through
it together in great detail. I was assured that the replacement system could do everything I
needed.
So, going back to my boss, my answer to his question was “based on what
the consultant has told me there is no reason why I can’t use it”. The maintenance module was belatedly added to the scope of the project and we started to migrate data, change the fault reporting processes, train the users and slowly get our heads around it all.
The reality was, however, a struggle. It turned out that most of the
functionality I needed required a range of bespoke tweaks that, although
promised and paid for, took longer than the consultant expected to get working. As a result the implementation of the core modules was finished before the maintenance module and the project team left site. Although remote support was promised it was ineffective to say the least. As a consequence we ended up using a system that was not
popular and devoid of most of the required functionality. This was not a good place to be but it was what it was and we had to make the best of it. This organisation is currently sourcing a new CAFM system (completely separate to the core business system) which confirms to me that it wasn't a good decision in the first place.
So what should you do if you find yourself in a similar situation? My advice to
you would be as follows:
· Make sure you are invited to review potential systems at the tender stage so your requirements are included from the beginning.
· Ask to see a working version of the system to
demonstrate what is out of the box.
· If you get promised extra functionality get commitment
from the consultants or implementation team in writing, with a plan for
execution. Ask to see working examples
of something similar if available.
· Have regular reviews of progress to ensure your
needs don’t get forgotten or put to one side.
· Always remember your original system is still an
option.
· Don’t let the core parts of the new system take
a higher priority over the maintenance module (not easy!).
· and good luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment