So, it’s now two weeks since I became self-employed and things
are looking up. Last week was all about
sowing seeds and hopefully getting a few to germinate. After a bank holiday weekend I woke on
Tuesday feeling a little apprehensive. I
needed to check the seedlings but was almost too scared to look! Then, taking a deep breath, I rolled up my
sleeves and as the day rolled by I definitely had a few green shoots. What was interesting though was where these
came from.
These days social networking is applauded as the way to go to
build a business and ignoring it would be at my peril. So, with this in mind I made quite an effort,
using the tools available to me, to get myself out there which worked quite
well thanks to the support of my family and friends. My blog from last week had 134 hits on my web
site and another 35 hits on my Google page.
This was amazing, and completely
surprised me. In fact, I am pretty sure
that in all the time I was in business from 2006 to 2009 my website didn’t get
that many hits in total! I was very excited
by the end of last Friday that the social networking seemed to be working.
Well, in my opinion, that depends on how you measure “working”. Sure, lots more people know about my business
but how many people have contacted me as a result of this? So far none!
What is working though is good
old leg work. I contacted many potential
clients directly, making a huge effort to find out the right person to speak to. This
worked! I have several leads in various
stages of maturity at the moment, and the outlook is better than I could have
hoped. Now I am almost wary of
contacting any more people for fear of being swamped. Should I wait to see how things pan out over
the next week or two or keep going? Do I sow more seeds even though there is a risk I will run out of space to plant them if they grow? I still don’t know
the answer to that!
So back to social networking. What next?
I will keep doing it, because it is in my plan. I will, however, evaluate its effectiveness
and see what it brings. I had a
conversation this week with someone who is very wary of social networks and he
warned me about the possible negative impact it can have; the people who like
to publicly moan (without letting you know first), the people who use it for
bullying and the people who stalk! There is a risk but I reckon that I can deal with it if it happens. I am grateful for feedback, good or bad
because it creates an opportunity for continual improvement and many of you
reading this know this is my mantra. In
the meantime, I have yet to see any proof that social networking is more than
an opportunity to show off. Controversial,
I know, but watch this space!
No comments:
Post a Comment